A successful second annual gathering of Philly Bluegrass is in the books, thanks to the strong showing of the community, which generously supported the event with its presence and donations. Thank you!
Turnout exceeded expectations all day long, evidencing the passion of the bluegrass community here in Philadelphia. Media coverage from WXPN, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Weekly, and other publications no doubt also helped attendance. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner reservations were sold out days before the event, which admittedly led to frustration for some event-goers. We will be thinking about how to accommodate an even larger crowd in 2020, and invite your emailed feedback and suggestions at email@example.com.
The best of the local and regional bluegrass scene was on full display throughout the day, with performances by Serene Green, River Bones Band, The High & Wides, Marc Silver & Bobby Baxmeyer, The Jersey Corn Pickers, and Ian & Liana (of the Keystone Mountain Boys). Ian Zolitor, host of the WXPN Folk Show, kept the crowd entertained between bands, and the show on a tight schedule.
Attendees were then treated to a captivating performance by headliner Michael Daves. During his hour-long solo set, Daves played several cuts from his latest record, Orchids & Violence (Nonesuch), including his covers of Mother Love Bone’s “Stargazer” and Whit Connah’s “Dark Angel.” He also drew from the traditional bluegrass canon, which provided the opportunity to feature guest musicians from the local scene.
Special thanks to:
- Heritage for sharing its wonderful space and staff. Here’s to four years of Bluegrass Brunch every Sunday!
- Our sponsor, Founders Brewing Co.
- The musicians
- Master of ceremonies Ian Zolitor, host of the WXPN Folk Show
- Pro Audio NJ
- The Philly Bluegrass Programming Committee and Philly Bluegrass Members (lineup curation, financial support, and volunteering)
- CultureTrust Greater Philadelphia (fiscal sponsorship and administrative support)
- The Philadelphia Cultural Fund (grant support)
- Revival Letterpress (poster design)
Relive the day with this photo gallery by Jordan August Photography.